Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Pipestone

I walked over to the monument this morning (it's 84 right now?!).

A small museum showing what the Indians made from pipestone and how.
This was a sacred place and tribes all over North America traded for
this stone which is mainly only found here. Many legends about how
it's the blood of their ancestors.

The quarries here are still being worked but are all filled with water
now due to the recent flooding. Glad I missed that. I watched a
couple of them pumping one out.

One was not flooded and you can see the pipestone. A trail runs along
a stream with quarries and rock formations like " The Old Man". A tall
pillar is Lovers Leap. Some inscriptions by an early explorer in 1800's are in the rocks along with some 1880's graffiti! It ends at a waterfall.

I also had to wash clothes today and the camp laundry is being painted
so I drove into town.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're seeing lots of really cool stuff. And of course the iphone pics are great!!! Wish I were there too!!
    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete