Thursday, September 13, 2012

at Wayne Fitzgerald State Park, IL

Left Lake Shelbyville this morning. One last thing I did was hike the
trail past some old pioneer buildings at the far end of the lake. I
walked Squire Boone Trail.

On the way out through Shelbyville I drove
past the Claudia Sanders House:
"In 1959, at the age of 69, Colonel
Harland Sanders and his wife, Claudia, moved from Southeastern Kentucky
to Shelbyville. Prior to this, the Colonel had spent many years in
Corbin, Kentucky, developing his now world-famous chicken recipe. His
move to Shelbyville was prompted by the opening of Interstate 75 which
bypassed Corbin and his restaurant. It was however, from this very
building that Kentucky Fried Chicken grew into a world-wide
organization."

My plan was to drive to Horseshoe Lake Park near St. Louis.
Unfortunately on the trip my alternator light came on 3 different
times while on the expressway?! It always
went off again but I was getting nervous so I chose to stop here. It was
just replaced in July and the battery is a year old. When I got out to
pay the camp host I noticed my headlights were on(!); must have
accidently hit the knob. Maybe the a/c, headlights & charging 2
batteries overloaded it, but it shouldn't have. The old alternator
worked fine for 3 years.

Anyway I took a site and got my meter out and tried to make the
warning light show and failed. Turned on the a/c, lights, etc. The
battery reads 12.8V with the engine off. With the engine on it reads
14.1V so the alternator IS charging. Don't know what else to do but
cross my fingers and continue on tomorrow.

This park is really nice with a 22,000 acre lake. All the sites are
paved and have electricity: $20/night. You can see it isn't too
crowded, either. Making good use of my home made ramps! I grilled 4
boneless pork chops for dinner and froze 2 for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment