Monday, October 1, 2012

Right on Galveston Bay!

Left Rainbow Park this morning, later than I wanted. 4 people stopped
by to talk about where I've been & where I was heading (they're very
friendly here). Tonight was also one of the weekly Movie Nights at the
Rec Center and the guy who puts the show on, who calls himself "Mr.
Movie", stopped to invite me.

According to the website Dellanera RV Park (operated by the City of
Galveston) offered dry camping (no utilities) for $20/day. The temp is
down to the 80's so I thought that would be ok. I stopped at a propane
dealer in Livingston and filled my tank. One snafu on the trip here:
The GPS steered me to Sam Houston Parkway around Houston, which is a
toll road. What it didn't know was NO CASH ALLOWED only an EZ Pass.
"VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED". That's Texas. So I got off and
reprogrammed the GPS for NO TOLL ROADS and it steered me around but
right through Houston. There was 6 lanes of heavy traffic for miles,
that's a BIG city, but I got through it ok.

I got here and asked for a dry site. The lady said they are no
longer offered because the city installed beautiful full hookup sites.
Sooo it's $34/day but I have elec/water/sewer and free, strong wi-fi and I'm right on the bay.
There's also a little gift shop/grocery, a laundromat and showers. As
you can see these beaches aren't too crowded! Oh, the 1st rig I passed in here is another Toyota Motorhome. I'll have to stop over there.

My plan was to see the Houston Space Center which I passed on the way
here about 28 miles back. I even checked and stopped at a local grocery
store for a $5 off coupon.

On the other hand I may just sit on the beach; I'll decide tomorrow!!

2 comments: